Question banks or tests can be exported to a Blackboard formatted file for import into the Learning Management System (LMS). For users of Blackboard 6.0-7.0, the exported file will be in a form of a question pool whether exported from an ExamView test or question bank.
The Blackboard 7.1-9.0 format, however, exports an ExamView test as a test file that is imported using Blackboard's Test Manager. Question banks exported for Blackboard 7.1-9.0 are formatted as a question pool just as in the older Blackboard format. An advantage of the newer Blackboard 7.1-9.0 export format is support for some question information fields.
- Build or open a test/question bank.
- From the File menu, click Export and select either Blackboard 6.0-7.0 or Blackboard 7.1-9.0.
The Save window opens.
- Set the save location for the exported file.
- Enter a file name and click Save.
The question content will be saved as a ZIP file.IMPORTANT
For PC users, the file will not be saved until the Export to Blackboard dialog is completed.
- Enter a Question Pool Name or Test Name.
- The Question Pool Name is the name displayed in Blackboard’s Pool Manager. It is recommended to select a name that will be helpful to you to relate to the questions, e.g., Chapter 1. The name can be a maximum of 244 characters.
- The Test Name is the name displayed in Blackboard’s Test Manager. This option will only be available when exporting from an ExamView test to Blackboard 7.1+ format. The name can be a maximum of 244 characters.
- Optionally, enter a description.
- Select the appropriate formatting and feedback options.
- Typically, the HTML formatting option is used. However, there may be instances when the other options may be more appropriate.
- If your questions include rationales or feedback, select the appropriate Feedback option. Otherwise, select None.
- Enter a directory (or folder) for the test/question bank images.
Ensure that the folder name is unique to the question pool. The directory name is used to store images that are required by questions in the test or question bank. The name you supply should be unique for the test or question bank you are exporting. If you use the same name for multiple tests or question banks, images may be overwritten when the file is imported into Blackboard. In this case, the questions in the existing question pool or quiz will show the wrong images. If you are exporting the same test or question bank multiple times, you can save disk space on your Blackboard server by using the same directory name for images each time you export. If none of the questions in your test/question bank contain images, the directory name you provide will be ignored, however, you must still supply a name.NOTE
Due to current limitations imposed by Blackboard, image files on the Blackboard server cannot be deleted once you have imported a question pool. The image files will exist on the server even after the question pool or quiz has been deleted.
- Click OK to export the test/question bank.
As part of the export process, ExamView compresses all of the files into one ZIP file.
Import the test/question bank into Blackboard.